Monday, November 17, 2008

Making More Ornaments...a Cat, a Mouse and a Gingerbread Man

The tradition of making ornaments continued when I made a white cat ornament for my daughter in 1994. This ornament was from the same pattern as the bunny from 1993. Again it was made of felt and stuffed and embellished. I also made a Christmas tree skirt in 1994 that had Santa faces on it. This was the first year my daughter watched the "Christmas Story" on TV and she got upset at the scene where the kid got his tongue stuck to a freezing cold metal flag pole. I can remember her crying, "I don't want that to happen to me!" We told her not to stick her tongue on a cold metal pole. She is still a worry wart to this day.

In 1994 I made my daughter a pretty elaborate gingerbread house so I had to find an easy ornament to make and I made the gingerbread man. This ornament was made of checked cotton fabric with batting inside and then it was stitched around the edge. The raw edge of the fabric shows which makes this a fairly primitive ornament. This ornament was probably the simplest ornament that I made my daughter in all the years that we continued this tradition.

In 1995 I went back to the pattern of the animals and I made a gray mouse ornament. Again it was made of felt and stuffed. Of all of the ornaments from this pattern this one is my favorite. I like the cap the mouse is wearing and the cheese he is holding. The cheese I made out of a cosmetic sponge. I cut it to look like a piece of Swiss cheese and then painted it yellow. I don't know how I came up with that idea, but it works!
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.