Friday, January 26, 2018

Working on an art quilt



I have spent my week working on another energy/environmental quilt. This time it is about fracking. This was my edited original photo. I thought the color scheme was too happy for this topic.















 I decided to go with a brown monochromatic color scheme. I decided to make the background dark and the fracking rig light. This of course added to the difficulty of creating the quilt since I had to line the lightest fabric with white muslin. The light fabric is a rust dyed fabric that I created a few years ago. You get the browns and tans by using tannin and earl gray tea as well as the rusty items.











Here are the fabrics that I used. The quilt is only 3 fabrics. The rust dyed adds a lot of variety. The quilt is about 16 in by 30 inches and will be able to hang with my other energy quilts. This was one of the designs I did not make back in 2014 when I took Elizabeth Barton's master class. It was still waiting to be made!

Thanks for reading.

Linking to Nina-Marie.

Chris

3 comments:

  1. Gee willikers.......I LOVE this piece! Although my husband's career in oil and gas has put food on our table for 42 years, I still love the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made the right decision with not going with that bright and jolly color scheme imo! I like that you used a negative or reverse of the values in the original photo. Very effective. It also gives the sense that all that rigging is going to come tumbling down on that poor worker, just like fracking itself is causing mayhem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt does make a statement about fracking, something I got to experience firsthand when I lived in northcentral PA and three wells within earshot of our house were drilled and fracked. Not a pleasant experience. I love the lines of this piece--and the color choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.