Thursday, April 18, 2019

Moving along on the Charles Bridge quilt

I have sketched the bridge and enlarged the pattern. This quilt should end up being 36 inches by 36 inches. I traced the photo on my iPad in the Sketches Pro app. I have my purple fabrics chosen and washed and will get started on this tomorrow.

I start PT (arthritis) on my left knee tomorrow as well. We head to Disney on Monday so I doubt I will get much done until we come back. I just hope my knee "behaves" while we are there. I'm sure we will be doing a lot of walking and standing while we are there. This is a new problem...just another one of those little surprises that the body whips out on you when you least expect it.  I want my 20 year old body back...or even my 40 year old one.

The bridge photo with tracing overlay

The sketch

My next decision will be whether or not to include what looks like a black outline around the pieces when I make the quilt. What do you think? Of course do you do that with fabric, thread, or marker?



Linking to Nina-Marie.
Thanks for reading.
Chris

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne Marshall adds hand embroidered stem stitch in black embroidery thread around much of her needleturn applique. I've seen her pieces close up and at first thought she'd just run a pen line around them, but no, she takes the extra step. Then again, she hand quilts all her pieces and loves the handwork. It really is quite stunning what a difference that added thin line of black makes on a piece like this.

    Then there's Pamdora (Pam Rubert) who is a fuser and fuses her individual pieces to a black base, then trimming away all but a bit of the black. Again, quite stunning the difference it makes.

    I'm trying to think if I've done any outlining on any of my quilts and can't think of any at the moment. I think I'd find a good archival black pen and hope for a steady hand!

    Suzanne Marshall link to her patterns where you should be able to click for larger views and catch that black outlining, particularly on Grape Harvest https://www.suzannequilts.com/patterns

    Pam Rubert http://pamrubert.com/

    Good luck with the knee at Disney!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.