Friday, August 16, 2019

A week of progress

"Dawn on the Charles Bridge" 36 in by 36 in
I finished quilting the Charles Bridge quilt and spent hours squaring it up. I must have measured things 50 times to make sure things were right before making the first cut.You can't take it back once you cut off the first edge!

The facing is done and now to make some sleeves and a label.












Neither of these photos are great. I will need to get some better ones once it is hanging on the wall.

I showed my quilt at my fiber group meeting on Monday and they went crazy over it.











I started working on the Halloween kit. I made the mistake of washing the fabric before cutting the blocks. That was no problem for the regular fabrics, but was an issue for the fabrics printed with the costumed people. I have to add some extra bits to those pieces to make them large enough since they shrunk. I wish the directions had said not to wash ahead of cutting. I did not take shrinkage into consideration. So a little improvising was needed! I still need to add 2 borders to this quilt top. So much for a mindless project. Margaret calls these kinds of projects "Someone else's directions!" They are a nice break from the brain intensive original art quilts. I guess I can even "screw" them up. At least I'm consistent.

I guess I could have cut things smaller than the directions said to. I think the added bits will work so I will leave it as it stands.



Linking to Nina-Marie.

Thanks for reading. Off to Michigan this coming week for the quilt show.
Chris

2 comments:

  1. You're 'Dawn' piece is remarkable -- for its shading, its detail, its contrast with the lamp light -- this, even when you think the photos aren't doing it justice. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The detail on your bridge quilt is amazing. Now I see what you were talking about with all the quilting around the windows and other small details. Totally worth it - it is an extraordinary piece.

    As for the Halloween piece, the problem you had with the provided fabric is probably one reason I've steered clear of kits. I'd want to wash the fabric first too, but so often they give you barely what you need, no room for error. Still, as you say, sometimes it's nice to work with "someone else's directions."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.