Friday, October 11, 2019

Done, done, done

The Halloween quilt is done and hanging over the loft railing. Boy I was glad to get it done. I am beginning to think that I should not do anything, but my original designs. Kits seem like a good idea and diversion from making my own quilts, but while making them I get bored and frustrated really easily. And then I am really sorry I got involved in one.

The quilting is in the ditch between blocks as well as diagonally across the quilt. Double diagonals and far from perfect. I did reach a point where I just wanted it done! Perfection was far from my mind as I did row after row of quilting.











After this project I have to rethink things. What can I do between art quilts? Certainly not a large kit such as this. Something smaller for sure.

  • Maybe go back to the days when I did miniature quilts.
  • Dye or paint some fabric.
  • Do some sewing. I have patterns for small bags that you pack in your suitcase to organize your things. That would be easier than quilting a large quilt.
  • Do some sketching. I did take a class last summer on sketching trees.
  • Do some monoprinting. 
  • Read a good book.
  • Do nothing!
The Last Rose of Summer (miniature quilt)






















As much as I get frustrated working on original designs that frustration is still better than the boredom and lack of inspiration that I get with working on a kit. I wonder why it too me so long to realize this.


 Going outside and finding a tree to sketch.
 Drawing the negative space around the tree rather than the tree.
 Fast sketches with charcoal.
 Sketching a bonsai tree.
Sketching a tree from a photo taken at Mt Hood.

What do you do for a diversion between art projects?
Linking to Nina-Marie.
Thanks for reading.
Chris

5 comments:

  1. I do a lot of youtubing (is that a word?? lol), reading and journal making and journal writing...mostly trying to get my "mojo" back--


    I am done with BIG quilts for physical limitation reasons as I age....
    so need to move to smaller pieces--such a different way of thinking
    I am finding...just the right color combos seems so important....

    I love your different takes on sketching trees...esp'ly love that bonsai one...;)))
    Hugs for a happy weekend Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can really empathize with the thought that using a pattern or a kit would be a nice break from art quilting that takes lots more thought, and then finding oneself a bit bored and just wanting to be done! Those less than perfect quilting lines don't get noticed on a quilt like this.

    Everything you list sound like good in between activities to give you a rest between projects. I don't think the brain turns off unless distracted, at which point the subconscious can do some good work to be seen later. While the weather was nice, I really enjoyed leaving any thought of creativity behind while I explored some hiking trails that led to waterfalls. Now that the cold has driven me inside, I have urges and fleeting thoughts tied to getting back in the studio. Sometimes we just have to do something completely different to refresh us.

    I am in love with your sketched trees. I see lots of design fodder there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In between art projects, I either make a section or two from Jen Kingwell's Long Time Gone pattern, or else make a crib size quilt for charity. I find the precision piecing of the first, or mindless construction of the second are almost necessary to get the creative juices flowing again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get why you find kit quilts so boring. Between big projects I've been doing fabric "sketches" in fusibles so sewing is kept to a minimum. I also play with painting/printing small pieces of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s a lovely quilt, but I can imagine the boredom. As for what I do take a break from taxing projects - I crochet blankets. Then I donate them to the Linus Project.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.