Saturday, October 19, 2019

Floundering and lost

I still seem to be floundering in terms of what to work on. I thought before I picked a new project I would quilt the two tops I made in Elizabeth Barton's Mod improv class from a couple of years ago. I have the one pinned and started quilting it. I don't think I like this top or the other top and am losing enthusiasm for quilting it. Maybe that's why I did not finish them 2 year ago.

To me this seems pretty boring and I am not excited to finish it. I am tempted to take the pins out and trash it. Do you ever feel this way about a quilt top? I'm not sure why I don't like this quilt. I think maybe I feel like I have seen it too many times before and it's not very original.

















Close up of the quilting so far.

















This is the 2nd top that I like even less.

Any thoughts? Put them away again and move onto something else?

I think that is what I need to do. Life is too short to work on things that are boring.

I did order zippers and fusible fleece to make small bags. Maybe that will be a good idea for what to work on.

Thanks for reading.
Chris

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, it has just happened to me as a matter of fact--my Turkey-Lurkey (turned out to be a "turkey" of a table topper !!)did not come up to my expectations at all--but I got it DONE!!
    And I have deep-sixed many projects...or given them to others or [GASP] cut them up...life is too short to put a lot of work in on things that you don't like...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your feelings about quilt top one - it's kind of bland. I like the colors in quilt top two, and appreciate your efforts to break up the grid a bit. I've taken the same class from Elizabeth and have finished only one of the pieces I made for the class, so I don't think you should feel badly about abandoning them. However, have you considered cutting them up and reworking them into something more improv? Maybe begin with cutting up prints of your photos and see where that might lead you. You could follow your quilted lines to cut up the first one as a starting place. Whatever you decide will be right for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.