Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2026

Evolution of an idea

 While I like my original idea for the surreal quilt I think I like another idea better. Here’s the original idea….


My new idea began with this image that I created years ago. It was the combination of a photo of trees taken in Crater Lake National Park and pieced triangles. In fact I thought I would make a quilt from this someday. 


I decided to add an eye to the sky, change up the trees to make it more surreal. This is what I got.

It’s definitely not dark enough so I edited it to make it darker. 


There are several things I like about the image…

  • The eye crying into the tree. I like the connection.
  • The twisted tree.
  • The eye in the water.
  • The pieces of the original triangles.
  • I like that they are dripping.
  • The reflected tree that doesn’t seem to have a source.
  • I love the steel blue gray color scheme. 


I tried out a few different background fabrics.






This is the image that I’m thinking of making.

Here’s a crude sketch and a watercolor image I created in an iPad app.




Thanks for reading.

Chris


5 comments:

  1. Love the floating, "streaming" triangles--missing that tear near the eye--
    but then, maybe too much? Lots of iterations on this one--no wonder your pieces are so special...so creative, Christine...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops--I missed seeing it near that tree branch...--early-morning-eyes,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the first picture the best... the fog is rolling in ... leaves a lot to the imagination of what's to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. it was the third picture. Didn't scroll back enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm finding it overly busy with the second eye in the water and the upside down tree. Otherwise really creative and disturbing! LF

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.