Friday, April 17, 2009

Grandma’s House for Blogger's Quilt Festival—Spring 2009

There is an online quilt festival going on. In order to participate you have to post the story of your favorite quilt. I know that I have posted about this quilt before on my blog, but since this is one of my favorite quilts I would love to talk about it again!

I made this quilt of my parent’s house for my Mom's 80th birthday which we celebrated last August. I did not think it would take too long, but it pretty much took the entire summer and was more difficult than I thought it would be. These are some pictures of the finished quilt.

housequilted

closeup


When my Mom received the quilt she was really surprised. I think this photo is my favorite photo of the quilt. When people at the party saw the quilt they thought it was a painting. When I told them it was a quilt they looked at me with a puzzled look on their faces. I guess most people don't think of quilts beyond traditional patchwork quilts.

mom and quilt2

This quilt looked so much different when I first started making it. This is a photo of what it looked like not far into the process. At this point I was almost going to pack it in an get her something else for a gift since it did not look too good at the beginning. So I guess this shows that you have to keep going when making a quilt like this.

image

So you might ask if the quilt looks anything like the house. Here is a photo of the house so you judge how well I did. I decided to make a spring scene and my Dad sent me photos of the tree in front of the house in the spring. I sent photos back and forth to my Dad to get his feedback. He designed the house so I did not want to mess up. I loved his comment to me, "Don't be so hard on yourself." I should take that advise more often.

image

And yes, that is a cat in the window on the quilt. The cat is no longer around, but used to sit in the window all the time and make my Mom crazy.

24 comments:

  1. I love the quilt and I think you did an excellent job re-creating your parents' house. Your mom must love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great quilt! I love the symbolism of home used for quilts too. I'm sure your mom cherishes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is amazing...I would never have thought of making a quilt from a picture. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not over keen on art quilts, as you know, but this is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...this quilt is TERRIFIC!!! I'm glad I found you through the Bloggers' Quilt Festival. (I lived in NJ most of my life but we have retired to southern DE now.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful quilt. I have always wanted to try working from a photograph like this. Just like a real house, the flowers and the tree really make the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, this is a great quilt. What a nice way to remember home.

    Also, I agree, you racked up on bd presents. B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quilt - I really love the cat in the window.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful quilt! You have frozen a memory in time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMGosh Chris!! What a fantabulous quilt!! Just beautiful!! Glad you posted it again for those of us who didn't get the chance to see it the first time!! Wonderful work!!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just amazing, you did an amazing job. I am sure you mom loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an incredible quilt! And what a special quilt for your mom. I know she loves it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Chris. Isn't this on-line festival a whole lot of fun. Glad you posted your house it's tres manifique(sp?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I compared the picture and the quilt and I think you did wonderfully. I know she was thrilled to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am absolutely speechless. Not only is that a lovely gift, but your work is incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous idea, you did a marvelous job with this and such a lovely gift.
    Enjoy the festival

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story that goes with a wonderful story quilt to be treasured by your folks. It shows how quilting comes in so many different forms- clothing, pictures, traditional and non traditional bed quilts.

    I love the name of your blog- my husband is an amateur astronomer and a Quilting Universe is a great name for a quilt blog...
    Thanks for telling your quilt's story..
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I love all the detail in your quilt! Great work :) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a fantastic quilt! You are very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! You did a great job. All the details and colors that perfectly match the real home. I know your mom was very pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chris I love this quilt and can't wait to take your class.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your quilt and your story. Your quilt has great color! And I definitely want to take a class from you! Thank you for sharing!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have been looking at quilts for a month and just now at 193... So glad you posted pictures of the process - so that all of us that think it is just a whip it up routine know a lot of sweat and tears went into this. Lovely 80th gift and I am sure it bring much pleasure to not just your Mom but to others that frequent the house.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.