Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Final sketch edit and choosing fabrics

I decided to enlarge the one wind turbine and did another cut and paste. I wanted to make sure that I changed things up from the original photo.


This is what I came up with. I still have those kissing blades, but I will deal with that when I block out the quilt.








I have a ton of fabric, but have suffered from buying small pieces of fabric in the past. So the background pieces that I am debating about are only fat quarters which makes the quilt about 12 by 20. Here are the 2 different backgrounds I am debating about. The one is a batik and the other is a fossil fern. The fossil fern gives a background in motion (from the wind turbines?) more so than the batik does. I like both of them. One thing I can certainly do is cut out the turbines and see how they look against both backgrounds.

What do you think?




I paired some lighter fabrics with the fossil fern that I thought might work for the turbines and blades. I would need to use small amounts of some others to get the shading just right.





Linking to Off the Wall Fridays.

Thanks for reading.



  1. I like this latest sketch, the nearest turbine really in your face. I'm thinking the batik would work better than the fossil fern. It's reading blotchy which might just give you a block of green and a block of blue in the negative spaces instead of the feeling of motion you're getting seen as a whole. The batik kind of mimics the landscape of your original picture - blue sky, green land. If you are sure of the finished size, then definitely, get the turbines cut out so you can place them on each fabric to see how they will really work.

  2. I think your latest sketch is a big improvement from last week. You have kept all the relationships between the blades, but now there is a real sense of depth too.


Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.