Wednesday, August 1, 2018

“Taking its Toll” nearing completion

Linking to Nina-Marie.  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

The blocking and trimming are done. Now to move onto facings, sleeves, and a label. The size is approximately 36 inches by 13 inches.


I am going to add some French knots to the teal barrel in the right front. The fabric got a little ratty after tearing out some quilting stitches here. I was going to do some hand stitching anyways so the knots will cover a bit of the rattyness and add that hand stitching. The thread for the stitching is brown to match the rust on the barrel in these spots. It will not be noticeable from a distance, but will become a detail up close. Rust dyed fabric is not very forgiving and I'm thinking that the fabric will deteriorate with time. But then I'll be gone and I won't care! I might add some French knots in some other spots as well.

Here are some close ups that show the fabrics and also a summary of the techniques used in the quilt.

The quilt is totally fused and the pieces were stitched in place with invisible thread. The fabric was rust dyed fabric that I painted over with setacolor fabric paints in teals,blues, purples, oranges, and yellows. The browns are all from the rust. I rust dyed a lot of fabric back in 2015. The labels were created in Photoshop and then printed with my ink jet printer onto some yellow and orange rust dyed fabrics.  The numbers were stenciled. I wanted the numbers and the labels to look worn. Most of the quilting threads were King Tut superior threads. Maybe this will be next years entry into the juried art show here!


Thanks for reading.
Chris

6 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous quilt that tells an tragic story. Didn't you do a wind power quilt a while back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying watching your process with this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. The rusted fabric is such a good choice. Painted over, it looks very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your progress. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so nice to follow the whole process. Your quilt is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.