Friday, November 30, 2018

Some decisions made, but more to make!

I decided a few things about my circle quilt. Gosh I feel like I have been making this quilt for years.

I decided against pink thread and went back to gray. Had to do some negative stitching, but am glad I did.

I decided against quilting circles within the circles. These circles are not perfect circles so trying to keep the perspective in the quilt would not be easy. Plus quilting circles is more difficult than straight lines.

So now the decision is whether to quilt the circles less densely parallel to the background or "perpendicular" to the background. The first quilting design I sketched for this quilt was the "perpendicular" version. Or maybe it doesn't really matter!!! See sketches below.  The large circle on the left partially floats.

option 1 ("perpendicular" partial floating of left circle)

option 2 (parallel partial floating of left circle)
Then I began to think whether I should completely float the large left circle. Will the partial floating be confusing? Will it ultimately even look like it is partially floating or not?  See below for option 3.

Option 3 (all circles floating)
 Any thoughts? Or are you just as tired of this quilt as I am?

Thanks for reading.
Linking to Nina-Marie.

Chris

2 comments:

  1. Actually I think that straight lines are harder to quilt, unless you are using a ruler. I would go with innie-outie circles in the circles, but that's just me. I'm sure it will be great, whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really not a fan of adding vertical lines. I still think all the quilting should be parallel horizontal lines and if all done the same, I rather think they will not overtake the design visually. Let the fabric, the gradations and the design do the work, not the quilting. I've come to think the elements that you see as floating will still float without specific help from stitches.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.