Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wedding Rings and White Roses

wedding

I have been meaning to blog about this quilt for a while.  I finished this queen size double wedding ring about 10 years ago.  It is machine pieced and hand quilted.  I think the time invested from beginning to end was around 800 hours which took about 5 years.  This was my last hand quilted quilt!

I picked out fairly pale fabrics because I wanted an antique look. I think most of the fabrics were not bought in quilt stores! In fact they were bought all over the place including Joann’s Fabrics as well as other fabric stores that no longer exist. I had to use poly batting because they did not have batting that large in cotton back then. 

I quilted roses in the off white spaces because I wore white roses in my hair when we got married.  I can’t believe how thin I was back then!  I made my own dress.  Cost about $50 back then.

My daughter wants me to give it to her when she gets married.  I told her it depends on who she marries. Actually she is pretty much a slob and that has me more concerned than what boy she might marry.

I remember she used to love the back of it because it looked like a white on white quilt from the back.

I have shown the quilt from the front and the back so you can see all the quilting in it.  I won viewer’s choice for this quilt at a quilt show about 10 years ago.

wr6

wr9  wr8

wr11

wr2

wr1

wr3 

 wr7

wr10 

Chris

9 comments:

  1. Wow! What a lot of work but so worth the effort when your quilt is that beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Your quilting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly beautiful. Too bad you don't hand quilt anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Dolores, I am going to be hand quilting a wall hanging sized quilt very soon. I am looking forward to doing that again. Right now I am debating about what kind of batting to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hand-quilting is EXQUISITE!!! I think you should tell your daughter this will be left to her in your WILL and not a day sooner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have more patience than I do!!! My biggest quilt has been crib size for my grandkids! The quilt is a family heirloom and maybe should be passed down.kosterby@yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a lot of lovely hand quilting!!! Well done that girl!
    Hugs,
    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh gorgeous!!!
    All my quilts are made from fabric bought at JoAnn's and here and there and everywhere, LoL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.