Thursday, August 4, 2011

Onto the Next Project

Well now that the Skye Quilt is finished I can move onto a new project which will be my Amsterdam Canal houses.  Here is the sketch I will use for that quilt. 

chrisnj_3 

Today I am going to relax and take a day off of quilting and tomorrow I will go to Staples to get an enlargement made of my sketch.  Plus I will start going through the stash to see what fabrics I can use.

It feels really weird having the Skye quilt done. I guess I won’t have to feel guilty about this one anymore! I made the label this morning and it is now officially called “Over the Sea to Skye.”  This comes from a piping song called the boat song.  You might remember that my husband is a bagpiper and he thought that was a wonderful idea for a title.  Here are the lyrics to the song:

Speed, bonnie boat, like a bird on the wing,
Onward! the sailors cry;
Carry the lad that's born to be King
Over the sea to Skye.

Loud the winds howl, loud the waves roar,
Thunderclaps rend the air;
Baffled, our foes stand by the shore,
Follow they will not dare.

Though the waves leap, soft shall ye sleep,
Ocean's a royal bed.
Rocked in the deep, Flora will keep
Watch by your weary head.

Many's the lad fought on that day,
Well the Claymore could wield,
When the night came, silently lay
Dead in Culloden's field.

Burned are their homes, exile and death
Scatter the loyal men;
Yet ere the sword cool in the sheath
Charlie will come again.

One of my favorite books called “Outlander” by Diana Gabaldon is about this period of Scottish history.

Another wonderful historic fiction series I found this summer to read is the Bruce Trilogy by N Gemini Sasson.  It is also about Scottish history.  I am waiting for the release of the 3rd book in the trilogy this fall.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.