And what a journey this one has been. I was the person that picked the word which was “CROOKED.” When I picked the word I had the idea to make some leaning Amsterdam canal houses. I was going to call it “Lean on Me.” Well after that idea I began to think of lots of other ideas…crooked windows, crooked doors, crooked fences on beaches, long and winding roads, prevailing winds and crooked trees, crooked stone walls, geologic fault lines, and who knows what else came to my mind. This turned out to be harder than I thought it was going to be and at some points I was confused and lost. I could not even blame anyone else for the word since I was the one that picked it.
So finally I settled on an old stone window (crooked window and stones). So I printed the window on a sheet of ExtraOrganza and gathered my materials…black tulle, fabrics, red onion bag webbing.
I removed the “colorful” stones and went for plan B although I had no idea what that was going to be. I had that orange and red in the window and I did not want to tear that apart since that was already stitched down. So I had to figure out what would go with orange.
I started going through the fabric stash and found some fabrics that I had dyed years ago and started pulling out the pinks. Yep I decided to go with pink and orange which is a color scheme that I have never, ever used before. I wasn’t even sure it was OK to do that until I searched pink and orange on the web and found plenty of things that were done in pink and orange from bedding to clothing. So the web gave me permission to use those colors together.
After a lot of cutting I ended up with the following quilt which was still pretty bright even with the black tulle on top of it. I had done some hand stitching at this point as well as well as outlining the stones with a gray Fabrico marker.
I decided to add painted used dryer sheets on top of the entire quilt. So now I have something more subdued.
Now to add the tulle. Initially I was going to use black, but decided to go with light pink instead since it made it more “dream like.”
So now for the finished quilt. This is not what I had in mind when I started this whole thing, but I think it turned out pretty well.
Thanks for reading.