Friday, January 2, 2015

Another year begins

Some of my Christmas gifts.

  • Roll of Steam a seam, new sketching pencils, Golden fluid acrylics, marking pencils, bobbin holders, bar of lavender soap for relaxing, quilt book. A good way to begin 2015!

 

 

 

I guess this is the time of year where we look back at 2014 and what we accomplished and look forward to 2015 and what we want to accomplish in the new year.  I already blogged about the quilts I made in the master class last year here. In terms of the new year I plan on making bed and lap sized quilts. This is what I call mindless sewing. I got some inexpensive kits from Craftsy that I liked so as soon as my husband heads back to work on Monday I will start working on them. I am also making a tote bag and overnight bag from kits. So the beginning of the year is going to be a break from art quilting. I feel I need that after the intensity of the master class last year. We are moving into a new house in August and I want to have some beautiful new quilts to put on the beds. Of course while I am doing all this mindless quilting I will be thinking about what my next art quilt will be.

 June_CS_sketch1

There is of course my canal house quilt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

trees

Then there is the forest quilt that I have always been meaning to make. Our trip to Pittsburgh over Christmas inspired me to consider doing it. I loved seeing the mostly blue gray or green gray trees and background with the orange brown dried up oak leaves mingled in. This photo is not exactly what I have in mind except for the color.

 

 

IMG_0620

Then there is the abstract grid quilt of the Christo gates. This was the second idea I had for my master class back in November, but did not have time to work on it. I would still like to do it.

 

So there are several ideas for art quilts in 2015 for me to work on.

 

 

 

I loved some of the things Idaho Beauty said in her current blog. If you haven’t read it you should check it out. I really liked the rules she posted. I agree with her on rule 7. That one stuck out to me even before I read her comments about the rules.

*******************************************************************************************************************

RULE SEVEN: The only rule is work. If you work it will lead to something. It’s the people who do all of the work all of the time who eventually catch on to things.

*******************************************************************************************************************

I think I learned that last year in my master class. Creativity and great artwork comes with a lot of work. There will be “failures”, but also successes.

Linking to Nina-Marie.

Well onto to enjoy my retirement and time for lots of quilting.

Happy new year and thanks for reading.

Chris

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nod to my post. Aren't those rules great?

    Looks like you've got a plan for the year, although we all know how plans can get blown out of the water! I hope you do make some progress on the canal quilt design - I've always liked that one a lot. But I definitely know why you need to give the art quilting a bit of a break.

    Only mildly envious of your Christmas haul as I got some pretty good stuff myself. ;-) Looking forward to seeing what you do with it all, and what you think about that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first visit to your blog and i think I'd like to come back when I have more time to read. Sounds you got some great gifts! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.