Thursday, March 21, 2019

Disappointed in auction results

Well the silent auction fundraiser ended last night. My "Hail to the Lion" quilt went for $135. My husband had the highest bid. 

I don't know how many times I have been disappointed by attempting to sell quilts. I have never been able to sell any of my quilts even though I have tried several times.  In this case I was not selling it, but the fact that it went for so little makes me wonder if it is even worth trying to sell my work. I have concluded that I live in a well off, but cheap area and original artwork especially fiber is not valued here. I thought the quilt would go for about $225. So now I wonder if it is even worth my effort to contribute to the auction in the future.  The supplies for the quilt cost about $35 and it took about 20 hours to make. I would rather just donate the $135. 

Well at least my husband won it and he did not have to pay very much. So basically he got the quilt and we donated $135. I suppose that's how I have to look at it. Still disappointed though.....

Time to move on and start a new project. I will recover from this disappointment just like all the others.

Linking to Nina-Marie.

Thanks for reading.
Chris

5 comments:

  1. Here in Ga. no one wants to give what they are worth either

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charity auctions are one of the worst fundraisers for original art and quilts. The only way my slice quilt group has gotten anywhere near a decent price for our quilts at these auctions is to set a high minimum bid and be perfectly fine with an outcome of not being bid on at all. I'm seeing more and more that this is what people are doing who donate hand-crafted articles. The idea is not for the public to get a bargain but for the organization to raise lots of money, but of course, most people don't see it that way. Raffles almost always take in more money. I've often felt these things are such a waste. Just donate money and skip having these social events that require some monetary outlay by the group (usually) and lots of volunteer hours. I think you are wise to set aside your disappointment and see it as a win win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree more. These events feel very much like having a party with all the expense, work and clean-up involved and very little if any monetary return.

      Delete
  3. I don't think art ever sells well. In the 3 quilt auctions I've done, 2 of my quilts sold, but I don't know for how much. I've done one auction with all kinds of art and we barely got a response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always so disappointing when a quilt like yours doesn't get what it deserves. A friend of mine donated a quit to the library auction. It was a magnificent traditional queen sized quilt with a pieced center and appliquéd border. It went for $75. She was sick to her stomach over it. She was not at the event or she would have bought it herself, as your husband did. At least you know that yours is in a good home where it will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.