Sunday, March 28, 2021

Abandoned Cement Works


"Abandoned Cement Works" 18 in by 18 in

 I finished the cement works and decided to frame it instead of gluing it to canvas. 

I just entered it into a local art show on recycled materials entitled Red Hot.

My inspiration statement:

Cement manufacturing is a big contributor to global warming. Rather than using paint or fabric to create the image of the cement works I used layers of translucent single use plastic bags that would otherwise contribute to litter pollution. The piece is enhanced with hand and machine stitching and ink.

So it is done and now I have to face the Halloween quilt!

Here it is from a different angle.

Crappy Boston Skyline 5 in by 7 in

 My cement works is a far cry from the plastic piece I did about 8 years ago. I threw it out it was so bad! 

What do you think about my cement works?

Thanks for reading.
Chris


3 comments:

  1. Love it! I am not an adventurous quilter so I love those who are. I like the recycled nature of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I’m curious about sewing those bags. I’ll have to do some back reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! The framing works really well and that is an excellent artist statement explanation. I really rather like it. It's a piece I think worth doing again in fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.