Sunday, February 12, 2023

Recycling Dad’s Design

I finished and framed my recycle piece. I used one of my dad’s design vellums. I ended up using brush markers by Tombow for the painting.  https://www.tombowusa.com/. I used the set with 10 grayscale markers. I blended with a water color brush. The trouble with drafting vellums is the paint just sits on the surface. It’s not like working with paper. I want to try them out on paper sometime. 

So I painted the design, machine stitched with a King Tut thread, and then hand stitched with a variegated embroidery floss. The final size is 10 in by 10 in. I kept the stitching simple to really show his design. Plus the markers were fairly transparent for his design to show through.

It won’t win a prize and I’m not even sure my dad would approve of what I did with his design! But at least it’s done! I think I will use this technique for an art piece of my daughter's house so I will use what I learned here. So how many times did I actually make this art piece? I think it was 4 times (trial piece, one stitched and failed painting, one painted not happy with, the final version). 

So any thoughts? I need to finalize a title. So far all I have is “Recycling Dad’s Design.” I tried coming up with an expression he used or any of the bad jokes he made up. These are things like….it must be your lucky day, the golden years…, I joined the circus, it’s only money. My husband suggested “Dad built Pittsburgh” because he designed thousands of houses in that city. 

I won’t have too long to contemplate the title. Entries are due by the 24th.

Thanks for reading.
Chris


3 comments:

  1. I LIKE it. I think it accomplishes all your aims and I like your husband's idea for a title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I just ran across this from the Centre of the Less Good Idea: "Often, you start with a good idea, It might seem crystal clear at first, but when you take it off the proverbial drawing board, cracks and fissures emerge in its surface, and they cannot be ignored. It is in following the secondary ideas, those less good ideas coined to address the first idea’s cracks, that the Centre nurtures, arguing that in the act of playing with an idea, you can recognise those things you didn’t know in advance but knew somewhere inside of you." Sound familiar? ;-) See more here: https://austinkleon.com/2023/02/11/the-less-good-idea/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is an interesting piece. You persevered and got a result after several tries. I think I would have given up at 2 tries but then this piece has special meaning for you. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.