Friday, February 3, 2023

Too many lessons learned this week

Maybe the first one is I need to stick to fabric as my medium…..

I drew out a detailed sketch of the scene and stitched it in on my machine. Then I tried to paint it. What a disaster!

Here it is before I painted it. To say the painting did not go well is an understatement. I did not take a photo of that. I had to tear out all the stitches because I need the piece of Pellon stabilizer. My local Joanns does not have it in stock. That was fun.


So my lesson learned was that I need to paint these using water colors rather than acrylic paints. I need something more like a wash. Also I concluded that I need to paint first and then do the stitching. That way I’ll know whether the painting went well before I waste all that time stitching. 

So I tried just painting using Seta color which is a transparent paint. I think I got the background values too dark. Also I concluded I need to color in the men with marker before I paint anything else. I’m now debating how much stitching I need to do. Maybe outlining stitching everything was too much.  Or maybe I should only stitch with machine and hand and not do any painting. I have to think about that. Here’s the latest painting. Now onto the next one.


I’m getting new pencils today that have more carbon in them and less graphite. I will try them out.

At any rate this project is turning out to be more work than it’s worth. I’m sure we’ve all had those kind of  projects.

Linking to Nina-Marie. https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading.

Chris

2 comments:

  1. More work than it's worth but so much into it you can't walk away! Yeah, I've done that, refusing to let an idea get the better of me in the execution. The last photo of it looks good. I'd keep going. You've learned some valuable lessons if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you are in new territory creatively so maybe some prototypes are a first step before committing. My husband came in as I was quilting my recent quilt on the longarm and said, 'Are you changing colour on each square?' Well ya, I have green squares and pink squares and gold squares etc, etc, so which universal colour would you like me to use? Then he said, 'why would you design something that you had to change the thread colour so many times?' Well duh, how exciting would a beige quilt be? Heck, I love quilting, changing thread isn't a bother. MEN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.