Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Design choice #2

 I created this image many years ago. I’m not sure what app I used to create it. I started with a photo of bare trees, turned that upside down, and added the birds with the app. Here’s the image.


The image achieves a surreal effect because it confuses our sense of space.
Here are the reasons why this composition feels like a dreamscape:
Conflicting Perspectives
  • Inverted Elements: The bare trees hang downward from the top of the image. This forces us to question which way is up. Is that water at the bottom?
  • Spatial Distortion: Birds appear to be flying through the branches and the water simultaneously. This blends the sky, the ground, and a water surface into a single, impossible plane.
Textural Contrast
  • Graphic Silhouettes: The sharp, dark shapes of the birds contrast heavily with the organic, chaotic lines of the branches.
Monochromatic Palette
  • Grayscale: The muted, desaturated tones strip away the familiar colors of nature. This creates a haunting, ethereal atmosphere that detaches the scene from reality.
I asked AI to transform it into a quilt to see how that would look. It’s certainly beautiful.


I asked AI to take the original image and make it more surreal. This image really excites me. How about that face lurking in the tree branches? I’m not sure how to pull it off, but the challenge would be fun. Plus you know how much I like grayscale. I have a lot of hand dyed gray fabrics to work with. Again these images would just be inspiration. So you can see my decision on what to make gets more complicated.




What do you think of these images? I like the one with the face as well as the original one without the face. 

Thanks for reading.
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.