Monday, August 31, 2026

Maybe it’s just me….

I find that sometimes I go back and forth with ideas when trying to nail down which is the best composition and which has the most impact. That certainly has been the case with the surreal art show.

I started with this idea and was happy with it, but I never leave things alone. I still like this idea, however. 

Then I created the crying eye in the sky image. Then that started the question about whether the eye in the water and the upside down tree were needed in the composition. And actually I still like this one.


Since I liked the gold eye and tears in the original image I wondered how that would look in this one. Meanwhile I removed the upside down tree and the eye in the water.


So how should that eye look? This one really stands out and could be seen across the room in an exhibit.

The original gold open eye with tears is pretty shocking so I tried one that’s less intense. I don’t like this one. Still too startled. I had to decide if I wanted startled or sad. I decided on sad.


I also played with this image where the tree branches wrapped around the eye more. I would leave out the small boats in the water. This would be a nightmare to create with the fog. Plus it’s overly busy.



I tried several eyes that are partially closed and got this one. It would not be the typical wide open surreal eye. It would give it more character rather than just being stuck on the sky. Still things to refine in this image. 


This would be the description of the last one…

Nightfall’s Vigil


This quilt is about a deep sorrow for our planet and the environmental destruction happening around us. The landscape acts as a mirror for that grief, with the gnarled tree roots clinging to a fractured cliff while the earth itself weeps gold. The golden ripples are a reminder that even in the twilight of what we are losing, there is a precious, vital beauty we still need to watch over and protect.


Maybe too many ideas is not good. Maybe it gives me too many things to think about. Sometimes I know exactly what I’m going to do. Other times I flounder around with what to do.

Am I the only crazy one?

Thanks for reading.
Chris


1 comment:

  1. No, it's not just you . . . :-) I do still like your original idea that you tinkered with before launching into this quite different one but using some of the same elements. I think it reads more surreal than these more recent ones. I like your description and makes me like the last photo more. Don't forget that once you get fabric and thread out, the modifications may very well continue.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.