I was wondering if I could incorporate a Pennsylvania bird into the surreal image. Ravens are Pennsylvania birds, but what about a barred owl? So I added it and it looks so cute. The owl is probably a bit too light, but does make the image different. It’s certainly unexpected.
Here’s the original with the raven.
Unspoken
As I worked on this surreal image it became a portrait of home.
A Pennsylvania white oak rooted in dark water and a barred owl keeping watch.
She is rooted here, holding what can no longer stay buried.
It doesn't come out as words.
It breaks through the surface as light.
For the raven
Unspoken
I started out just trying to make a surreal image. It turned into something more personal — a reflection on isolation and what it feels like to hold things inside for too long.
The moon feels distant. The raven is simply present. She remains rooted in the dark water, carrying something that can no longer stay buried.
It doesn’t come out as words.
It breaks through the surface as light.




I think the Raven is more surreal looking and fits the ethos of this image better...just my thinking;)))
ReplyDeleteWe are in the path of the Nor'Easter coming up the coast this weekend.
Fingers crossed that our big, old trees (still in full leaf) won't fall down on us...:((((
Hugs, Julierose
I like the owl. It is a bit unexpected as ravens seem to always be part of spooky or darkness. Best of luck on construction. Joanne
ReplyDeleteRavens are certainly the expected spooky bird, so the owl is more exciting. But I think it needs to be less cute! I'm off to a class with Kathy Wylie today. This woman is insane. https://kathykwylie.com/ LF
ReplyDelete