Friday, February 8, 2013

Missing You, Mister Grumpy Pants

We had to put our nearly 17 year old cat to sleep last night. He has not been doing well for a while….eating a lot, losing weight. The last couple of days he was throwing up every time he ate. Yesterday he did not eat at all and just moped around. Of course when you take him to the vet they want to run all kinds of tests to see what is wrong with him, but we declined. I figure that he has had diabetes for a while, but I was not going to treat a 17 year old cat with shots of insulin. He was old and this was his time.

So why do we call him Mister Grumpy Pants? He has always been a nasty cat that you would never know when he was going to go off and bite you. I have been seriously bit at least twice. So bad that I was on antibiotic for the infection. So for many years I looked forward to the day that we would be free of the terror in our house. However, he was not all bad.  In fact a lot of the time he could be really affectionate. But he was the reason that we kept our younger cats separated from him. We were afraid that he would hurt them especially when they were very small.

Right before Christmas we took down the barricade between him and the remaining young cat and they did manage to get along. I think after all these years Mister Grumpy Pants had mellowed. So his last month or so was spent having a friend….a friend to chase and a friend to sleep with.  In some ways I wish we had done that sooner.

But Mister Grumpy Pants is gone now and today I am really sad. it seems so strange around the house without him. Don’t get me wrong, I am not as sad as when we had to put our sweet little girl tabby to sleep that had cancer. She was only 2 1/2 years old and we had to put her to sleep on Christmas Eve in 2011. I was heart broken then. I am just shocked that I miss our nasty cat this much.

Our sweet cat, Chowder, has been looking all over the house for the mean cat, Meeko. It is a shame that he just got a friend and now that friend is gone.

Mister Grumpy pants (Meeko) is the black and white cat under the tree. Chowder is the sweet tabby. At least we still have him.

cats1[4] 

RIP, Mister Grumpy Pants!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.