Thursday, November 5, 2015

Singing the blues

I did a first try at arranging the blue squares on the black background for the abstract blue quilt.

Not sure if they are too dark. The Cherrywoods are certainly more grayed then my “sketch”. It certainly does not have the bright blue look of the sketch.

purpleoverlaychopped2blue

What do you think? Maybe I should have done a different palette of blues that tended more toward the royal blues rather than navy. Maybe I should use more of the lighter blues in my navy gradation.

And I thought this was going to be easy…

Thanks for reading.

Chris

3 comments:

  1. Goodness - that IS a big difference. And of course, colors on screen often look brighter by virtue of how they are produced - your mind is already skewed toward that brightness. But I see your point. I guess it depends on what you want for the space where you will hang it. And the thread you use to quilt it might change its overall mutedness. Are any of these squares white? If not I'm wondering if adding some white would change how it reads.

    Oh yes, you definitely jinxed your self by thinking this would be easy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cherry Wood fabrics are hand-dyed right? On cotton? I'll bet they'd have a different look if commercially dyed...or if silk were used...I would audition some white...but even so there are many tints of white! The soft blues are definitely a more peaceful, gentle palate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the background is too dark for the greyed blues. This piece is definitely not going to be as vibrant as your drawing. I look forward to seeing what you will do with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.