Thursday, May 18, 2017

"Beantown"

"Beantown"  25 in by 16 in

I was challenged by Alida from Art with Fabric Blog hop (see links at the end of the blog) to create another piece of fiber art based on an artist as inspiration.

The other two times I participated in the challenge last year can be seen here:

May 2016
October 2016


This time the challenge was to use a woman artist or a woman in an art piece as our inspiration. I chose 2 fiber artists....Charlotte Ziebarth and Wen Redmond. I love their work with layering photos and using photo editing apps to make interesting photos to print on fabric. I used their techniques to create the Boston image. I also created several other fabrics that I will reveal at a later date.



I chose a photo of Boston where my daughter lives and used Photoshop as well as the ArtStudio app for the iPad to edit and create layers for this image. The photo was layered with an image of a tree, a colorful background as well as several signs seen around Boston. I also used several filters that I did not bother to record. I now realize that that is probably a good idea for future reference. This to me was a lot of playing to get something that I liked.

Here is the tree and colorful layer, Unfortunately I deleted the images of the signs and cannot find my image of Boston. I kept this layer because I thought I might use it again.















Here is the final image I sent to Spoonflower for printing.
















Here is the printed fabric before I quilted it.
















Here are some images of the fabric after it was quilted. I used a piece of the fabric for the label.





The quilt has already been sent off to my daughter for her birthday last week. She says it looks great on her brick wall in her condo. Her condo is in an old box factory and she has one wall that is all brick. I am still getting used to my new sewing machine and this was the first quilt that I quilted on that machine. Here is the quilt on her brick wall....looks pretty good there if I say so myself! Plus she liked it.



Check out the other fiber artists that are posted today. Alida's blog will also connect you to the artists from the entire week.

Alida from Art with Fabric Blog hop: http://tweloquilting.blogspot.com/ 
Anita: http://quiltlovefordomesticfelicity.blogspot.com

Thanks for reading.


Chris





9 comments:

  1. C'est tout simplement super , et je suis aussi admiratrice de Wen Redmond ainsi que Charlotte Ziebarth, je viens de finir le livre de Wen et j'espère mettre en pratique!!! Votre quilt est juste magnifique

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your altered photo and the quilt you made from it. The idea of layers is one I'm continually playing around with and thinking about and it's always fun to see others doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting concept to have the fabric preprinted or converted. Gotta admit looks great on the brick wall. Congrats on a colorful project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is so inspiring how you can blend the use of technology with more traditional art practises to create a dynamic and visually interesting masterpiece! I think you did a great job with the pictures and with the quilting. Your piece looks amazing on that brick wall!! Thansk for participating in the blog hop and for sharing your talent with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very cool and looks fabulous against the brick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fascinating!
    I am not good with the computer manipulation and photos so I am in awe of your piece. I used a photo on fabric for mine this time, but very basic. One day I must play with overlaying photos. Did you stretch the quilt onto bars to hang? LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris, what your doing with images and quilting is really amazing. Your playing with both the image editors and your new machine turned out great. The quilt against the brick wall is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this so much! I too like playing with photos and layers but I don't often use them to create finished art because I'm more of a traditional quilter I guess. One reason why I enjoy participating in the hop so much I guess. Your work is stunning and I'm sure coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great piece of art and it does look wonderful on the brick. You are really branching out with your art.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.