Friday, June 8, 2018

Some progress

I am finding it really hard to get motivated to do anything after finishing the canal houses. I did make some progress on the toxic barrels, but realize I have a long way to go. Here are the fabrics pinned in place.



I am trying to decide on a fabric or fabrics for the rusted rims. Here are some that I have tried. I also have a heavily rusted piece that I might over paint. I guess I should just do it.



I am also working out how to do the numbers on the barrels. I have a number stamp, but the numbers are too small and you can't see where you are stamping. Not happy with it. I also thought about doing the numbers free hand. Both of these you can see. 



I added the free handed numbers to a barrel to see how it would look. It's upside down.  I know!


Maybe I need to buy a number stencil. I guess I need to figure this out. What do you think about then numbers or the rims?

Linking to Nina-Marie.

Thanks for reading.

Chris


5 comments:

  1. Don't stress about the numbers. They get rubbed off as the drums are moved around. It's normal for numbers to be upside down because operators aren't particular about stacking things neatly, nor do they care about inventory or correct labels. On top of that, everything is reused, and then re-numbered. I think the numbers look exactly right. You might want to consider adding chemical labels. There are many interesting identification signs beyond the skull and crossed bones warning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the numbers and the other suggestions left above! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest a stencil but you already thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too regarding the stencil. You KNOW that's the way the numbers and other symbols got on the real barrels. :-)

    Hmmm, the rims. If they could be of rusted fabric, that might be good. I was also thinking about couching or stitching, although the rims themselves might be too wide for that. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the others about the numbers -- you could go either way (freehand or stencil). Or...you could look for stamps...but those might be expensive!

    As for the rims, I'm thinking fabric on the bias might make it easier to curve them. The challenge of couching a cord is getting the sort of texture you want.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.