Saturday, February 13, 2021

Another opinion

Natalya’s sketch

I asked another artist that I know about the fence. Here's what she said. 

Hi Chris,

I took a look at your blog. To my eye the fence needs more movement as does the path. The perspective on the fence needs to be more extreme to add excitement in that portion of the quilt. It's too static.That's why I also think the fence needs a bit of a curve to it. And speaking of curves, the path has these wonderful curves as it gets closer to the castle, but closer to the viewer it's kinda just limp. I think if you add movement to the path and the fence, your quilt will look more dynamic and exciting.

Do you see how your castle has these lovely fluid shapes to it? That's what the fence and the path need as well.

I took a screen shot and added some lines to illustrate what I mean. Those lines would need to be smoothed and refined, but I think you get the idea.

Hope that helps!

One of the things I have been pondering for a while is the disconnect between the loose casual look of the house and the rigid architectural look of the fence. It's like they belong in two different quilts. While I'm not sure of the extreme path and fence as drawn by Natalya I tried doing something more fluid with more movement as she suggested. Here's my first try at drawing something more free and irregular. 

My sketch

I'm still working on my secret projects so this is still on the back burner. Eventually I have to resolve this and finish the quilt. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.
Chris


1 comment:

  1. It's true that your fence cuts a very rigid line that, now that Natalie has pointed it out, is quite different in feel from the rest of the quilt. I think you could bow it out a bit along a curve of the path as she has suggested with her lines without changing the architecture of it. I don't think you want to get too old and worn with it. A castle demands a regal fence I think. ;-) I looked for examples and found this one that curves, albeit from the opposite view of your fence. https://tinyurl.com/y58lbwad Also this simple one. https://tinyurl.com/yyth6go7

    Seriously difficult to find examples! So great that you have so many different eyes weighing in with new perspectives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.