Monday, February 1, 2021

Feedback from my daughter

My last blog had some great comments. I also sent the questions to my daughter to see what she thought. This is what she emailed me.


This is definitely stretching my knowledge of perspective, but I think the main cause of confusion here is that the house visually reads as being in two point perspective. The fence is in one point perspective with a different vanishing point.


I think that the house is the focal point of the quilt. The eye is led there by every feature of the painting other than the fence (see fibonacci overlay below).

I tried and failed to reconcile the perspective of the fence given the perspective of the house. It's not my strong point. If it were me, I would use one of these easier fixes:
1) Depict the fence basically straight on to the viewer to avoid most of the perspective issues
2) My preferred option: make the fence sparse and more organic. Try to avoid long straight lines as much as possible in order to take attention away from any specific vanishing point. I think this could suit the overall composition more by taking less attention away from the house and acting more like a starting point for the eye.

Also I think adhering strictly to perspective drawing principles in this quilt would be a mistake anyway. Breaking the rules adds character and a nice eeriness that works well for a halloween quilt. It's not an architectural drawing! I would just go for what looks good more than what is correct.

What do you think? 
Thanks for reading.
Chris

1 comment:

  1. I very much agree with that last paragraph. I just finished reading an article in Artist Magazine entitled Cheating At Perspective which more or less says the same thing, backed up by how some of the masters just winged it rather than use Alberti's or anyone else's formula.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.