Friday, July 9, 2021

I have been quietly making slow progress

I know I haven't posted, but I have been working on my Boston collage quilt building by building. I finished the skyscrapers and probably have 20 more buildings to go as I work my way down to the bottom of the quilt. The sky scrapers represent the more modern part of Boston. A lot of the rest of the buildings are the older buildings in Boston from brownstones to Faneuil Hall.

I've been looking at each building as a separate entity as I pick the fabrics for it. I also make sure it fits my overall color scheme and fits in with the rest of the buildings. 

Here are some progress photos. What I find has helped a lot in terms of getting the features like windows in the right places on the buildings is printing out a full sized photo of each building. It's kind of a pain to have to do that, but it saves me a lot of time in the long run.

Overall planning of color scheme and fabrics for the quilt
 
Sky scrapers on the right completed
 
Some of the skyscrapers on the left are now done
 
Sky scrapers done. Colors are more intense in person than this photo
 
I will be  incorporating more orange in the windows in the buildings. I thought that I would add a lot more buildings and then eventually replace some of the blue windows with orange. I thought it might be easier deciding where to put them once I have more of the quilt done. Also some of the features are so small that I will need to add them with stitching. Hard to believe that a quilt this large could have features too small to cut out of fabric! I think I will be working on this quilt until Christmas.

What do you think?

Linking to Nina-Marie.

Thanks for reading.
Chris

8 comments:

  1. Amazing! What a stunning quilt this will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning work Chris...love the dark hills in front bottom...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a ton of work, but I think it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you effort, meticulous piecing and unexpected color palette knock it out of Fenway Park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is quite a process!! I always admire your work so much. This will be another unique and wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is looking so good! The finished quilt will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is fabulous so far! I'm so in love with your skyscrapers. Looking forward to seeing how the older buildings develop. I think you are wise to leave some of the orange windows decision to when more of the quilt is done. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The detail of your work blows me away. Gorgeous! It's worth all the time you take.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.