Friday, August 6, 2021

Tortoise or hare?

I've decided I'm a tortoise when I work on a quilt. While I have been working on the cityscape collage quilt I've been trying to figure out why I work so slowly and deliberately. I think it's because of my background in Physics. I remember the problems that I had to work on when I was in college. One problem could be 30 pages of calculations. You had to carefully and slowly work on them. You certainly did not want to get to the end of the problem 30 pages later and have the wrong answer. Then you would have to go back and try to figure out where you went wrong. It was better to carefully reach the correct answer. I think that carries over into my art. 

I spend several days working out what fabrics I'm going to use before I even cut the buildings or the windows. It's not that I'm afraid to make a mistake, but it's just the way I work. I remember when I used to sew all of my clothing. I spent days going over the instructions so I knew what I was doing to avoid any issues along the way. I guess it's the way my brain works. The planning works well for me even though it is a slow process. 

I did make some progress this week on the quilt. I am a bit further on the building on the bottom left than this photo reflects. I've cut windows and "gingerbread" trim. I just need to put them in place. I changed up what fabrics I used for the 2 buildings that I worked on this week. The ones I thought I was going to use were too dark. If I went that dark at this point the buildings at the bottom would have be even darker. After I finish the building on the bottom left I have to move onto the brownstones on the right that are below the skyscrapers on the side. Then the quilt won't look like it has a hole in it! They are complicated so I've been avoiding them, but I can't any longer.


Are you a tortoise or a hare? Do you know why you work the way you do?
Thanks for reading.
Linking to Nina-Marie. 

Chris


1 comment:

  1. Oh definitely a tortoise, always a plodder, working with people who speed along makes me so nervous which is probably why I prefer to work on my own rather than in a classroom situation. Why? I think it has to with with my personality type. I've always been one to, according to others, "worry too much" which means in order to feel comfortable, I try to consider every possible outcome so I can be prepared, not be blindsided. I hate feeling like I've wasted time because of being too hasty and thus making unnecessary mistakes. I'm a thinker like you, want to be totally prepared before I jump into anything.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.