Friday, January 28, 2022

Finally back to working on the Pittsburgh in the snow pieces!!!!!

After making Santa’s, an ornament, and a duck as well as starting another secret project I’m finally back to working on the Pittsburgh pieces. It’s a good thing since our class on how to embellish these pieces started last Tuesday. 


I’ve done a lot of preliminary stitching outlining building features. I’m still not done with the streetcar in that piece.



 This weeks lesson was on thread painting so I’ve had to practice free motion stitching. I used to do that on my old machine. I have not done that on my current machine. I have a foot that I used on my old machine that floated for FMQ rather than bounced. I tried to use it and it does not fit on my new machine. The mechanism for the even feed foot blocks it from fitting. Here’s my practice piece with a different king tut thread than the one I’m using. The spool that I’m using is getting low and I did not want to use it up practicing. The stitches on the right were made after the ones on the left so I was getting better as I practiced.

 In the class we were told to sketch on our original image to see how we would stitch to highlight features and shadows. Here’s what I’m thinking for the cathedral.
I tied that out on my iPad just to play around. The stitching does bring it to life.

 I also played around with my iPad with trying to make it look like it’s snowing. Should be interesting to see how I can achieve this look!
 
So it’s going to be a busy few days as I try to get brave enough to thread paint on my actual pieces. Wish me luck. I’m always afraid I will ruin a piece it the stitching doesn’t go well.

Linking toNina-Marie. 

Thanks for reading and commenting.
Chris

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're still working on this piece. I never would have guessed there was a connection to snow...till now. Hope you'll be able to work that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the stitching you've done really does start to bring this piece to life. And I too would be nervous to start that thread painting although I can see how it will enhance things even more. Yes, these are the sorts of things we need to pr active OFF the quilt first. I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.