Friday, September 9, 2022

You can change your mind

How many times have I had an idea in my mind of what fabrics I will be using for a particular part of a quilt like a building to only find out when I try to go with my plan it does not work? Lots and lot of times.

The brownstone that I finished on Monday and the one I am starting to work on are good examples of that.

Here was my plan.

When I finally did the red purple brownstone I decided that the really dark fabric at the bottom was too dark. I could not find a fabric to create dark contrasting window trim because the building would have been so dark. Of course the other option would have been to use a light trim, but I think that might have looked weird.

This is what I settled on. I also added a lighter pinkish purple for the top brownstone. So I still had 3 values, but not the original idea. The photo is not great since it was a very gray, cloudy day.

Now I have to tackle the blue brownstone that will be to the left of this one. Again I think the bottom fabric initially chosen is too dark. So I picked a lighter one for the top of the building and the other 2 less dark ones for the rest of the building.


I've already picked out some of the other fabrics that will make up the details of this brownstone. But again when I finally go to work it out I might once again change my mind.

I remember Elizabeth Barton used to say to make visual decisions visually. You can imagine them in your head all you want, but until you work it out on your design wall you don't really know how it will look.

I've been slow this week. After having Covid back in July I now have had a string of migraines. I usually get them every 2 months. I had gone 3 months when Covid struck. I have had 7 migraines since then. Apparently that can be a consequence of having Covid. So I guess I now have long Covid. I see my doctor next week for my physical and to discuss this new issue. The trouble is a lot of the drugs for migraines I can't take. I guess this can go away after a while. I sure hope so. 

Thanks for reading.

Linking to Nina-Marie.

Chris



3 comments:

  1. Oh Chris, I hope you get relief soon. I had migraines also which only disipated with menopause. This piece is brilliant; your use of value pushed to the limit. Love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is utterly fantastic! I do hope you can get relief from the migraines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So unfortunate about the migraines - they certainly can't help when you are trying to choose fabrics. Hoping you can find some answers with your doc.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.