Friday, September 16, 2022

A quilt is never done!

We are going to visit our daughter in Salem, Massachusetts next weekend and I want to bring her a Halloween quilt that I made for her back in 1997. It was from a pattern, but I changed a lot of the costumes that the kids had on to match what my daughter wore over the years. I guess this was one of the first quilts that I did some improvising on the pattern.

 


I am sewing 2 sleeves on it. The original top sleeve was skinny and I wanted to be able to accommodate a larger slat of wood to hang it. I am sewing a sleeve on the bottom as well because this quilt never hung flat. It was always very wavy. There are several reasons that happened. I did not quilt it evenly. It has piano key border which you must be very careful with. I washed it after putting on the binding. These days I soak a quilt and let it dry flat and then add the binding or facing. But this was back in 1997. I had many lessons to learn at that point. The bottom sleeve with a wood slat will force the quilt to hang flat. There are plenty of lessons I wish I had learned sooner. Do you have any lessons you wish you had learned early on?

Here are some more photos of the quilt.








I did make a little progress on the Boston quilt. The curved window you see has 52 window panes. The bits of fabric below the window are just testing out these fabric choices. As you can see I changed my mind from what background fabric I thought I was going to use on this window. The one I picked was too light.

Saw the doctor yesterday about the migraines. I had one yesterday before I saw her. She thinks that it is from Covid and eventually will go away. I sure hope so. If it continues she can give me something to prevent them. 

Linking to Nina-Marie.

Thanks for reading.

Chris



3 comments:

  1. Your Halloween quilt is so cute, but your Boston is amazing! I just blew me away. You are so good at this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hallowe'en quilt has so much to see in your story, so cute. I sympathize with your migraine storm as a fellow sufferer. Luckily mine are infrequent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun quilt for your daughter and good solutions to the problems caused by your lack of knowledge in those early days. For me it would be knowing how to turn corners properly when applying binding for a nice neat miter. I made several quilts with awkward rounded and bulky corners before I learned how to do it properly. It was also a lot easier when I realized how much the poly-cotton fabric from my clothing construction was holding me back. Could not believe how 100% cotton could finger press and seams press flat with an iron.

    Gads, those window surrounds on the new sections are teeny tiny as evidenced by the pin holding some in place. The fabrics look good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.