Friday, January 27, 2023

Eyes bigger than my stomach

And I don’t mean in the food sense. I’m talking about projects. So many things seem like a good idea until I actually have to execute them. They are great projects in my mind, but then I begin to think I really don’t want to do them and that I’ve taken on more than I want to do. Am I alone in this?

I was beginning to think that was the case about the upcoming recycle show. I think this year it’s earlier than it has been in the past and submissions are due around February 23. So much for planning ahead. The theme this year is “Make it work.” I planned on using my dad’s drafting vellums for the material for my submission. My dad designed houses and I kept a pile of the original vellums. At the time I had no idea what I would use them for. I thought recycling them into art could be a good idea. 

I picked an old photo of steelworkers and thought I would layer the vellums from light to dark as you move from the background to the foreground. I would be able to shade in the vellums with pencil and of course cut them out to the shape I needed.

Here’s my photo with a rough sketch on top of it. Also some photos of the vellums.





Of course there is always a problem. In this case how to glue vellums so I can layer them. I tried regular white glue and it did not work. I was ready to abandon the project, but decided to try fusible this morning and it works!!!!! Yes they can be ironed.

So now I need to decide on the size, print out the sketch, refine the sketch, and cut out and shade the pieces. I want my dad’s plans to show because this was his job or his work. The men are working in the photo so I hope this fits the theme. I want this to be a tribute to my dad. In fact the title could be that.

Speaking of eyes bigger than my stomach….I made Artisan bread again this week. It was really good. I also finished the gift for my girlfriend, but I can’t post it yet.




Linking to Nina-Marie. https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading.

Chris

4 comments:

  1. I'm not totally understanding your plan for the 'make it work' piece but will be along for the ride. I've been baking all our bread stuffs since 1995 and you get over wanting to eat more than you should but you also get fussy about what bread you will eat in 'away from home' situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, I'm glad that you were able to attach the vellum. It's always a challenge to work with unusual materials, but that's half the fun, isn't it? I've got way to many projects on the go, but since I've finished one and getting close to finishing another, I think that it'll be manageable. My eyes are always bigger than my stomach, project and food wise! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this fits the theme in more than one way - the fact that you are "making the drawings work" in your piece and that you are including men working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh now THIS is interesting. Here I'm struggling with making a 4" little cabin all week and you are doing something cool with VELLUM! I have a love relationship myself with vellum since I was probably one of the last classes that actually was required to take drafting before everyone went to CAD. I love the feel and smell of it!! And yes I feel your pain - most of my projects end up getting way out of hand too! Can't wait to see where this is going!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.