Friday, April 7, 2023

Last building standing

All the buildings are off of the Boston collage quilt except one. I’ve left the row of brownstones till last. They could have been a quilt all by themselves with some tweaks. That certainly would have been an easier quilt! But why do easy when hard is so much fun??

Here’s the entire Boston quilt and the last set of brownstones. They have been moved to the left so I could take off the skyscrapers behind them. I’m getting close to the stage when I have to put all the buildings back in their places. That means putting the puzzle back together. I need to add to the background sky fabric so it’s large enough to cover the entire quilt top. It really doesn’t matter what fabric I use since it won’t show because it will be underneath the buildings. 



I picked up my recycle piece this week. It’s good to get it back. When I picked it up the person from the art alliance said it was one of her favorite pieces in the show. She thought it was clever. That was nice feedback. I guess I'm clever!! 
 
I’m already thinking about next year’s recycling piece even though I won’t start making it until January. Plenty of time to plan. And boy am I a planner. I am not the person that can start a quilt without planning. Of course those plans can and do change along the way, but I like to have some idea of where I'm going before I start. I am definitely not the person that can do the improv type of quilt. That's just not me. I've decided that I need to just stick with what I can do. I think that is why I don't do well in classes that make me create on the spot. That makes me very uncomfortable. Are you a planner?

Recycle piece. "Dad Built Pittsburgh" 10 in by 10 in

I received a birthday gift from my daughter yesterday. It’s a really cute wool pin cushion. The wool is in a mug shaped like a sheep. I’m still debating about getting the new sewing machine. Not 100% sure if I should change even though it’s a way better machine and there are plenty of things about my current machine that make me crazy.
 

Thanks for reading.
Linking to Nina-Marie.
Chris

5 comments:

  1. Your quilts look great. I took a class with Natalya after seeing your’s, of course my quilt is nothing like either of your’s! I have an initial plan and then usually spend a lot of time along the way fixing the plan to make it work! I was happy in the end but it wasn’t how I’d envisioned it originally. Good luck with your beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog. I loved “why do easy when hard is so much fun”. Haha. I would love to send you a few photos of my “easy” project I am currently working on. Take care. Sharon in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am a planner (See my post https://www.gwynedtrefethen.com/life-of-an-artist/make-a-plan/) It seems are thoughts strayed to the same topic this week. :) You make cities come alive. The brownstones are such an iconic part of Boston, I feel like I am walking along the street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to be planning less and less in my quilt making. I start with an idea and see how it develops. Currently, I wanted to work with Double Wedding Ring block and use my hand dyes, that was the plan. After one DWR block I got the idea of doing deconstructed DWR, each DWR got less and less until I had a small circle. Then I had to cast about for a background, nothing was working. Days later I opened a box of beige and cream home dec scraps and a backing was born. However, my domestic side of life is very planned. Happy Birthday, cute sheep pin cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love it when I receive a different kind of compliment or assessment of my work and "clever" is a great one, especially considering the kind of exhibit and theme. I used to always pause in the middle of a piece and think the same thing - wait! How can I make this harder? Used to really love the challenge and it almost always led to a better quilt design. Now, lazy me, I don't seem to have the umph to push myself like I used to but sure admire those who still do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.