Friday, March 31, 2023

I’ll fix it later

When I started the Boston collage quilt I made sure each building was “perfect” before moving on to the next one. As the quilt progressed there were things that were not perfect, but I said to myself that I would fix them later. Well when later arrives those issues have to be addressed. So that’s what I’ve been doing this week. The two long brownstones on the left side of the quilt were a major headache. Things would line up and the they wouldn’t. But they are done now and ready to be stitched. I think the lesson here is to make them “perfect” to begin with. More work earlier in the process, but less now that my brain is complete fried out. I’m not even sure I even remember the things that needed to be fixed. 

Here they are before removal and after removal from the design wall. 


You can see the few buildings that are left to take off of the wall. I should not have anything to do in terms of the skyscrapers before ironing the pieces in place and stitching them. Those buildings I worked on very early in this quilt so they are “perfect.” The row of brownstones has some work left to do. I’m not sure things are positioned accurately since I added windows, etc when it was on the design wall. I’m sure things are close. Whether close enough is the question. So some things to work out there.

I’ve been hanging pattern pieces over the railing outside my sewing room. You can see just how big some of those buildings are.  You can also see the stained glass diamond quilt I made in 2020. https://chrissquiltinguniverse.blogspot.com/2020/06/from-beginning-to-end.html



My girlfriend gave me an early birthday present. My birthday is not until mid April. It’s a polish pottery bowl. I decided to use it in my sewing room to house all the different threads I’m using on this quilt. It’s really beautiful. I wanted to see it everyday. 


So mentally where am I on this quilt? I’m happy that I made progress on the 2 large brownstones.  I’ve reached the it’s good enough, it will have to do, I don’t care anymore, I hate this quilt, I wish it was done stage. I guess every project has that. I’ve also reached the maybe I should make smaller quilts stage. The next one will definitely be smaller. This quilt still has a long way to go, but this week I feel like at least I’m back on track. 

Do you reach any of these stages? 

Thanks for reading. Linking to Nina-Marie. https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/
Chris

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, there's hardly a quilt I've made that I didn't stall out at some point and not want to touch it again. If I don't reach that stage, if everything goes smoothly and quickly without a hitch, then I am nervous that I am missing something that is radically wrong! You are probably right that it is best on a project this big to make each section perfect rather than think you'll fix it later. Then on the other hand, if you can't remember what you meant to fix later, and don't see where something needs to be fixed, then it wasn't that big of a deal. Certainly no one else would spot it if you don't. Anyway, glad to hear you were focused and made progress this week. AND realize that the next projects needs to be much smaller. :-) Beautiful bowl too - must inspire you as you work, both its beauty and the sentiment from the friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is amazing. Are those buildings all pieced?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those pieces are HUGE. I can't even contemplate starting something so large and complicated. I only have one quilt I got to hate as it went on and on and on. But after I got over a hump and things started to fit together I rather enjoyed the finishing and didn't rush the ending just to get it done. I even did a scalloped border because I'd never done one before.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.