Tuesday, September 22, 2026

The meaning of an art piece

After struggling with this surreal piece so long I began thinking about whether it had any deeper meaning. Was it more than just a pretty image? What does the piece actually mean to me? I began to think about a title and an artist statement. I wanted a short simple title and a personal artist statement. I wanted a statement that went beyond just describing the elements in the piece…a woman tree, a raven, a moon. If you ask AI for a statement it basically does just that. It looks at the image and describes the elements in it. In other words it does not do a good job. So if you want an artist statement you have to do that for yourself.

Unspoken 24 inches by 30 inches 

Unspoken

Artist statement 

“This one started out as me just trying to come up with an interesting surreal image for the show. I kept going back to my original idea of the woman in the tree, with the moon and raven framing her.

As I worked on the image, though, it started to become more personal than I expected. I began thinking about isolation and what it feels like to hold things inside for too long.

The moon feels distant. The raven is simply present. She remains rooted in the dark water, carrying something that can no longer stay buried.

Sometimes words just aren’t enough. Whatever she has been holding in doesn’t come out as words. It breaks through the surface as light.”


I’ve mentioned that I will be using Jennifer Sampou sky ombré fabrics to create this beautiful moody image in fabric. Here’s a plan for it. The title is different because AI chose that as the title. Although that’s not a bad title. 


For this surreal show I wanted to create an image that was not just a bunch of surreal things thrown together. I wanted more than that. I hope I accomplished my goal.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.