Tuesday, October 6, 2026

You will be happy to know…

You will be happy to know that I’ve decided to use an actual photo instead of AI for inspiration for my recycle piece. It’s a photo of a streetcar crossing the Smithfield Street bridge. I will simply it a lot, turn it to night with snow, change the streetcar to one I rode, and get rid of the buildings in the background and put in the steel mills along the river. I’ve had this photo for a while so I’m not even sure where I found it online.

Here’s the photo. Since the streetcar I rode was the 35 Shannon Library.


“What Remains”

Once upon a time, Pittsburgh’s red and cream streetcars were an ordinary part of my childhood. I rode the Shannon–Library car to school, to Saturday art classes at the Carnegie Museum, and into the city. On this bridge, my grandfather once crashed the streetcar he was driving.

The mills that filled the horizon are gone, and so is the car I remember. I made this piece from discarded plastic bags — a material that refuses to vanish — to hold a place and a time that have.




Thanks for reading 
Chris


2 comments:

  1. The best one yet!! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like this image much more than the AI ones. Your ideas for adapting the photo should work out well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.