Monday, June 15, 2020

It’s blocking

The stained glass scrap quilt is finally blocking on the floor of our utility room. It was a lot of work quilting it due to its size. The quilting is spaced 3/4 inch.  I'm glad that is done. It is still off of square by 3/4 inch which is a 0.73 % error. I'm just going to have to live with that. I refuse to do much more stooping to measure and try to figure out where it is off and pull the quilt to get it to be perfect.  I'm blaming it on too much stretching during the piecing as well as the quilting. It is what it is. No contest entries for this one.  I will just enjoy it's beauty as it hangs in my stairwell. I never should have measured the diagonals to begin with. 

Now to figure out a title. My husband suggested "I hate circles!" He heard me swearing at various points during the making of this quilt. I think I said I hated this quilt several times over the last 4 months! 

I thought about "Learn to be still" from an Eagles song. I thought that might be appropriate for making it during the pandemic and having to stay at home and modify our behavior.

At any rate thanks for reading.
Linking to Nina-Marie. http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/
Chris


5 comments:

  1. Well, I cannot see how it is off at all--and it is just so gorgeous--who cares???Just a symphony of lush colors...beautiful work;)))
    Hugs from afar, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the effect of the different colors looks like Dappled light through A window I can almost feel the heat of the sun! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Chris -- this is stunning! You have really captured the feel of sunlit filtered through stained glass with your fabric choices. With this quilt hanging on my wall, I would feel like I was in the sanctuary of a cathedral. And what's 3/4" between quilting friends, anyway? Actually, I think I might know where that 3/4" went. It looks like all of your diagonal quilting lines are going in the same direction, right? So I bet the 3/4" that you think you're off by is just the takeup/shrinkage from your quilting stitches, only happening in one direction on the diagonal. I don't think there's anything different you could do to eliminate that completely, and it looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.