Friday, October 16, 2020

Major progress made this week!

I finally feel like I am nearing the end of this quilt. Still have plenty to do, but that's minor compared to what I have already done.

A lot of decisions were made this week. I rough cut the pumpkins and then with the help of some friends realized the oranges were too bright. That's interesting because they did not look that bright as pieces of fabric, but once added to the quilt they were way too bright. It's interesting how different a fabric will look in terms of value, intensity, etc when placed with other fabrics. As Elizabeth Barton would say....make visual decisions visually.

Pumpkins that are too bright even though the fabrics looked dull before adding them to the quilt

I decide to overpaint them with brown fabric ink and brown setacolor transparent fabric paint. This was much better.

Pumpkins over painted with brown

Here they are side by side. Nighttime scenes are tricky to create.

Side by side comparison

Then I thought I was going to use yellow for the illuminated eyes. No matter what yellow I tried it did not work. Then it dawned on me that maybe yellow was not the way to go. Sometimes I am slow to figure things out! So I tried an orange hand dyed fabric for the eyes. That was soooooo much better. I think the eyes here actually look like they are glowing. What do you think? I still have a lot more pumpkins to make because they go all the way up the path to the haunted mansion. 
 
Progress so far

So it was a very productive week. I don't think I will have this done in time for Halloween, however. 
Thanks for reading.
Linking to Nina-Marie.
Chris

3 comments:

  1. Great change on the pumpkin colors...the orange for the eyes is
    just perfect--they do look like they glow...nice work..neat
    perspective in this one--it draws you right up to the haunted house...
    ;000 hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, those faces are definitely glowing now - very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent fabric decisions! It's looking great. How tiny are those far away pumpkins?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.