Friday, August 27, 2021

A week of decisions

I thought I had the brownstones figured out, but no matter what fabrics I tried nothing seemed to work. This is the stage when the buildings just look like a big blob of fabric. I know that adding different fabrics for the various buildings and windows that make up the row of brownstones will help, but I pretty much spent the week stuck. I have certainly been down this road before….the struggle with picking the right fabrics.

I played with the photo on my iPad to see if any inspiration would come from that. I think I arrived at what might work. Of course the solution requires me to buy some more fabric!! I mainly have blue purples in my stash. The solution would require more red purples. I do have some red purples, but they are too dark. So I ordered some lava batiks from 1000 bolts and one nut. Plus I went to the local quilt store and she is ordering a red purple batik for me. So now I wait. We are going away for a few days so I won't feel bad about not working on the quilt. I think meanwhile I will clean up the sewing room again and pick some fabrics for the next set of buildings. 

So what do I think the solution is? Using both red and blue purples for this set of buildings. The roof lines of the buildings will be blue purple and the lower part of the buildings will be red purple with blue purple features like windows and stairs. I know from a color class with Elizabeth Barton that it's more dynamic to mix warm purples (red purples) with cool purples (blue purples). Since my favorite color is blue it's not surprising that my stash is filled with the cool purples rather than the warm ones.  I hope this is the solution. It will certainly bridge the blues of the skyscrapers with the darker plum purples below the brownstones. At the very least I will have a lot more red purples in my stash for future quilts. I might have to make some of the brownstones blue purple with red purple windows. I won't know until I get the new fabrics and start to cut them. 

Any thoughts? Linking to Nina-Marie. 

Thanks for reading.
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.