Friday, September 3, 2021

It’s that time of year

Now that the morning temperatures are in the 40's it says fall is coming and it's time to start thinking about what ornament I will make our daughter this year. I've been making her an ornament for Christmas every year since she was born in 1989. You can see all of them here. 
Initially I made them from patterns from the major pattern companies like McCalls, Butterick, and Simplicity. That would be a logical choice since I sewed clothing for most of my adult life from patterns from those companies. Eventually the patterns from these companies became felt and glue ornaments. I guess that was to cater to the non sewing crowd. That certainly did not work for me. I found a set of patterns for dogs and cats that I made for years. The internet provided plenty of ideas for ornaments. In 2006 I started making my own patterns for ornaments. The first one I made was Jack from Nightmare Before Christmas.

 
I have pretty much made original ornaments ever since then. They have been characters from movies like Star Wars or something from our travel that year. Last year was Baby Yoda wearing a mask to remember the pandemic. 


So what am I thinking about this year? I already have an extra body left over from making Outlander ornaments (Jamie and Claire) for my girlfriend Ellie back in February. 


I would hate a spare body to go to waste! So I'm thinking of making her the Pink Power Ranger. Our daughter was into the Power Rangers TV show when she was young. In fact I made her a costume one Halloween that was the pink Power Ranger. I wonder if her boyfriend was into the Power Rangers and whether I should make a blue one as well. Of course how do I ask her if he was without giving it away?

Here's what the pink Power Ranger looks like. 
I usually start working on the ornament after Thanksgiving, but this year I might have to start earlier since we will probably visit her in mid November. It would be good to give the ornament to her instead of shipping it through the mail. I always worry it will get lost. Of course maybe we will be able to see her at Christmas this year which did not happen last year.

When we visit in mid November she will be in her new house. They finally managed to get a house in this crazy housing market. It's a 1770 house in Salem, Ma. It has tons of character and I'm hoping she will want some of our antiques to decorate it with.
Linking to Nina-Marie.
Thanks for reading. I have nothing to show on the Boston quilt. Fabrics have arrived and I've made some decisions, but not much has been accomplished. Maybe I will have more to show next week.
Chris
 
Just added. I am one of the featured fiber artists in the latest edition of a local art magazine.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. I love your ornaments and your daughter must be thrilled. I, too, have many an ornament over the years. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.