Friday, October 29, 2021

I fell into the rabbit hole

The compositions for the new class I'm taking with Natalya Khorover have evolved. Initially I was just doing a piece based on a photo that was in my last blog. Natalya wanted more than that. So now I have 2 compositions and I'm working on a 3rd with Pittsburgh bridges. 

Here are the compositions and the value studies we were supposed to do. I think I know which value study I like the best for each piece, but you're welcome to weigh in.

The first composition is a streetcar piece. I rode streetcars a lot while growing up. I rode them to high school, art classes at Carnegie museum, to work in the city, to take sewing classes at a department store, and to meet up with friends in the city.  We took our daughter on plenty of them as well. In recent years my husband have gone on them to concerts in the city as well as Pirate games. So here's the streetcar piece. I guess most people call them trolleys.


Here's the value studies that I did on my iPad. I know which one I'm leaning toward creating. I'll see which one Natalya likes best tomorrow in class.


I did incorporate the cathedral in the next composition. 


Here are the value studies. I've narrowed this one down to the 2 I like best. 


These are not big pieces (11 by 14) and all the lines you see will be machine stitching instead of tiny pieces of fabric. Also features can be painted in after stitching. You might remember I'm doing Pittsburgh in the snow so snow will be painted and stitched on some of the buildings. Now to do a fabric hunt from my stash before tomorrow.

Which value studies do you like best?
Linking to Nina-Marie.
Thanks for reading.
Chris

4 comments:

  1. For the first composition I favour #3, and the second comp. #4. The stitching and the painting will make these pieces a bit easier to execute. All this architectural drawing is so awesome and daunting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris - that is so cool! For the streetcar piece, I like 1 and 7. What about using the background of #1 and the streetcar of #7? For your cathedral, I'm not sure which one I like best, except that I think that the cathedral looks best being light with a slightly darker background. Looking forward to what you (and the teacher) decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, These are so interesting. I like #6 on both compositions. Looking forward to how these progress. Thanks for the inspiration today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm leaning toward #7 on the trolley piece. Not really feeling it on any of the cathedral ones. I don't always do well with value studies. Maybe #2 if I had to choose.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.