Friday, October 15, 2021

I must be crazy

I know that the Boston collage quilt has been an exercise in patience and many of you have said I could win the persistence award. Well to top off this insanity I received an email from Natalya Khorover Aikens offering the architectural class again to former students for free. She only had one student in the class this time around and wanted more students. How can you pass up a free class????? So it’s me, one other former student, and one new student. So I guess a lot of folks can turn down a free class.

I thought when I agreed to do the class again that I would be working on my Boston collage. That's not what will be happening. She wants me to do a series of small pieces…..YIKES, YIKES, YIKES! Well I did agree to take the class so I will be taking a slight detour at this point. Have I gone off the deep end? Have I jumped off the cliff? Have I bit off more than I can chew? 

So what can I do? I have narrowed it down to doing a series of small pieces on Pittsburgh in the snow. I grew up in Pittsburgh and have fond memories of when it snowed there. I love the mood that is created when it's muted colors, grays, blue grays, etc. The pieces will only be 11 by 14 or 16 by 20. I will be starting with this sketch.


The colors will be grays. Whether they will be blue grays or green grays or purple grays depends on what hand dyed fabrics I have. I will add the snow on the buildings with paint and thread I'm guessing. The lines this time for windows and other features will be "sketched" in with thread and machine quilting. I want this piece to be very free and less rigid than my Boston piece. I want it to look like a sketch. 


So do you think I'm crazy?
Linking to Nina-Marie. 
Chris

1 comment:

  1. yup, you are definitely certifiable. Although I don't know if I could pass up a free class.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.