Friday, March 8, 2024

“Cold dark orb”

I am nearing the end of my recycle piece. Had I known what I know now I would have done things differently. But isn’t hindsight always great? 

I would have dyed the light jeans darker instead of painting them. Painting them was very difficult. 

I would have avoided overlaps of the denim. You can see where all the overlaps are since the denim is thicker than quilting cotton.

I would have done buildings instead of a forest had I known my original idea of the forest with the ghosts would have been abandoned along the way. 

I would not have quilted between the denim trees, but once I started that I had to continue. It was a pain to rip out and with painted fabric when you rip things out you can still see the stitching even with pressing and repainting. 

At any rate I can’t say that I did not learn anything!



The moon (the cold dark orb) and the stars are painted used dryer sheets from my stash. They were all previously painted so I only had to cut out the moon and the stars. The stars are different colors because in fact they are different colors. The color has to do with their temperature. The hottest stars are blue and the coolest stars  are red. Medium temperature stars like our Sun are yellowish. Can you tell that I taught astronomy?

What do I have left to do? I have to glue down the stars and do some hand stitching. Then I will be done.

I’m not sure how this turned out, but I think it does represent this years theme of dreamworld. The wolf pack was my husband’s idea. I guess you have to have some creatures in the night! The wolves are walking beneath the stars.

Thanks for reading.
Chris

5 comments:

  1. You've been around the block a time or two with this quilt, but you got there in the end. I think it's great and quite different with your use of denim. Wolf pack is wonderful, even if I miss the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hadn't shared all you learned I would have thought that what I see is what your initial intention was. I learned something, too. Now I know about different colored stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REALLY like this, with all its nuances in spite of it being primarily a monochromatic piece. Looking at it close up it is full of detail and I especially appreciate how you handled the lighting from the moon. The denim turned out to be an excellent choice even though it turned out to be difficult to work with, and brings additional texture and moodiness to the piece. And yes, I had to chuckle at your multi-colored stars - not many other art quilters would know enough to think to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the texture of this piece, in the trees. I do confess, however, that I find the stars rather...bold...Perhaps if you'd hand- or machine-stitched them in? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's WONDERFULLY CREATIVE! Perfect for a quilt show as well as the recycle show. You are a winner!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.