Wednesday, July 17, 2024

When do you give a mention or credit?

When I post a work of mine that I’ve made as a result of taking a class I always make sure that I mention the class in case someone else wants to take the class. I think the teacher is due some credit for what I’ve created. All the help and feedback that was given in the class merits that. So when I’ve created many quilts in classes with teachers like Elizabeth Barton or Natalya Khorover I make sure I mention that in my blog. I even post a link to a pattern that I’ve used to make something. I don’t feel that it’s right to post something that is original work unless it actually is. One should always give credit. Maybe this comes from my teaching career where we had to worry about copyright infringement. 

Now you might wonder why I’m bringing this up. Our local quilt shop sends out an email each week with information about what’s new in the shop and it features the work of a patron of the shop. This week it featured the work of a student of mine that made a quilt in my art quilt class. I will not be posting her piece here. During the class and well after the class ended I gave her lots of my time, advice, and feedback. In fact this amounted to many hours. In addition I gave her some of my hand dyed fabrics to use in the quilt. It did not surprise me that the class I taught where this quilt was made was not even mentioned. It didn’t even cross her mind. It didn’t surprise me, but it did upset me. But then there’s nothing I can do about it. So maybe I just need to get a new cat!!


This is my Pittsburgh in the Snow piece made in a class with Natalya Khorover. She’s the teacher that has inspired me to make the recycle pieces from plastics and other strange materials. 

What are your thoughts about giving credit to people?

Thanks for reading.

Chris

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you could 'let it go' but in future, make sure your students need to cite sources if they are going to emulate your work -- or anyone's work. When I post a pair of socks on my blog, for Pete's sake, I cite the pattern and designer (if anything but "plain vanilla"), and the brand/source of the yarn and the colour. If I post a photo of a quilt that I made with another person's pattern, I cite the name of the pattern and the designer. **Giving credit where credit is due is a mark of respect. NOT doing so -- if not accidental, due to ignorance -- is sheer arrogance.** Inserting the need for credit into your class lessons is highly recommended. Otherwise, you'll find folks using photos without permission and violating other forms of copywright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Margaret, have always done those things when sharing finished work that was the result of a class, using a pattern (even if I made modifications) or using someone else's work as inspiration or jumping off point. It seems so natural to do so. You know this person better than we do, but I also wonder if the quilt shop itself is a bit at fault for either not asking more questions or not putting the additional information in the newsletter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I am always thrilled when someone takes the time to comment.